[Gllug] w3m and lynx

harry postituk at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 5 16:00:04 UTC 2001

On Wednesday 05 Dec 2001 2:09 pm, you wrote:
> >I was building a bit of a website yesterday (Have not done it before)
>
> Odd, then, that your pages claim to be written by Bruce :-)

The originals are indeed written by the man. I just butchered his code, note
I said butchered.  I have learned a lot from his stuff and reading some
tutorials that I found at w3.org.

> >I have noticed some distinct differences between Lynx and w3m when
> >looking at the pages.
>
> Quite probably. Remember, the web is a content oriented medium, not a
> presentation oriented one. Thus you can't guarantee *anything* about
> what a browser will do with what you supply.
>
> >Lynx does not enable you to view images.
>
> Yes it does. Press "o" to go to options, then select "as links" for
> the "Show images" option.

I have tried this and it does show the locations which is handy but as usual
I cannot get it to display the images. I suspect that this is because it does
it in a completely different manner than w3m. Given the choice between the
two I am starting to prefer lynx. Lynx seems much tidier and as I learn the
commands its getting a lot easier to use.

> >Any comments would be greatly received for additions etc.
>
> Your frame sizes don't play well with Netscape 4 or Mozilla / Netscape 6.
>
> You have an unnecessary (and unused) frame which tries to load
> "anybrowser.html".

I have got that corrected now but I am unabe to load it up as gftp seems to
not want to connect to BT. I am not sure that this is caused by the fact that
I am using UKlinux to connect today rather than BT.

Xander
I have tried Mozilla and yes I cannot see the Contents frame either which is
very odd and I am going to have a look around to see if I can see what is
wrong but if anyone has any ideas that could point me in the correct
direction then let me know.

Harry
On holiday for over two weeks and not sure if I should go on holiday or stay
at home and play on the PC.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk