[Gllug] Linux Roadshow

James.Rocks at equant.com James.Rocks at equant.com
Sat Dec 8 10:20:21 UTC 2001

Hi Jim,

> I know what you mean about howtos I helped some people to put
> on an LDAP workshop recently but I think that something
> shorter sharper and aimed more directly at beginners to
> intermediate level I am not sure that it would be organisable
> but I think that a weekly 1/2 to an hour walk through of
> a linux Howto document each week would be a good idea and
> leave plenty of time for beer and curry afterwards.

Beer & Curry? Did someone say beer & curry? Wicked!

I dunno about once a week (I'm a parent and I don't live in London) but I
could handle that kind of thing maybe once a month (not at Christmas though
... Mrs Rocks has other plans for me :-))

> I have also been promising myself for some time that I will get some
> sort of central links for good free web based tutorials.

In some case just easy to understand documentation that explains the why's
as well as the how's would help.

>  as it seems to me that the major
> problem for Linux in the corporate market (even as a home user desktop)
> is how to get support as it is difficult to find.

> Linux is well supported and you have found it. :-D

OK ... I wonder if there's a Kent Linux group?

> I know how you feel I moved from M$ to Linux some time ago
> and found the change confusing at first. I don't know if it will
> work for you but I found my skills increased faster using
> the command line rather than learning loads of different GUI
> like Swat and linuxconfig to make life easier, suddenly all I
> had to learn was Bash and Vi.

Ah ... you'll be one of the ones I need to talk to then (being ex-MS) :-)

James

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk