RIP was Re: [Gllug] Editors

Paul Nasrat pnasrat at uk.now.com
Mon Jul 30 16:30:22 UTC 2001

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 05:04:17PM +0100, home at alexhudson.com wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 04:47:08PM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> > This is irrelevant.  RIP means there doesn't have to be any question
> > of involvement in a crime.
>
> I don't think it does. RIP gives _no_ new powers of interception of
> material. You need a warrant to get material. There has to be evidence to
> support the warrant.

NB IANAL

Can I first off suggest:

The bill itself

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/20000023.htm

Commentary

http://www.fipr.org/rip/
http://www.stand.org.uk/

I'm just browsing through now...

Alex is correct you to be served a warrant, but it an be served against
a person or a set of premises.

Warrant issued:

National security
Preventing or detecting serious crime
Safeguarding economic well-being of UK
International assistance (echelon?)

However section 17 and 18 seem to be the ones about disclosing about the
warrant.

<paraphase>

17 forbids evidence adducing (sp?), questions, disclosures, etc

of
a) the original contents of the interception or related stuff
b) suggests any of the folowing has/may have/will happen:

someones brokes section 1 or 2 of the this act or others
a breach of the Secretary of State of his duty to secure that any

requests for issuing on behalf of countries under international
agreement. Is made by appropriate authorities.

That a warrant has been issued.

That an application for a warrant has been made

That someone has been asked to provide assistance in issuing the
warrant.

</paraphase>

This is the whole if you are served with the warrant you can't tell
anyone except:

a) proceedings for relevant offence
b) civil proceedings to force acceptance of assisting in the warrant
c) proceedings before the tribunal
d) appeal/review
e) stuff before Special  Immigration Commision (with exceptions)
f) anything before "Proscribed Organistaions Appeal Commision".

Paul

--
"we apologise for any inconvenience" - God's Last Message to His Creation
Courtesy of Douglas Adams

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk