[Gllug] Treason uncloaked!

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Mon Jul 16 12:01:26 UTC 2001

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, rdrinkwater wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> The following message suddenly popped up on the console of a Mandrake 8
> system.
>
> Treason uncloaked!  Peer 192.168.3.200:515/727 shrinks window
> 3275863623:3275863.  Repaired.
>
> The IP address belongs to a D-Link print server.
>
> Can anyone enlighten me as to what this message is trying to tell me?

>From /usr/src/linux/net/ipv4/tcp_timer.c:

                /* Receiver dastardly shrinks window. Our retransmits
                 * become zero probes, but we should not timeout this
                 * connection. If the socket is an orphan, time it out,
                 * we cannot allow such beasts to hang infinitely.
                 */

I just grepped through the code for Treason - strangely enough, that string
doesn't occur too often in the kernel source... :-)

No, this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...

> Regards
>
> Roy Drinkwater
>
> EgO Computers Ltd

Cheers