[Gllug] Editors

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Sat Jul 28 20:00:23 UTC 2001

On Sat, 28 Jul 2001, David Freeman wrote:

> I don't want to spark off a Emacs v Vi holy war (Although they are most
> enjoyable) Is it possible to get an editor which uses the Vi command
> set which will save files encrypted. So that the plain text never
> actually gets put on the Harddisk? I know that alot of editors use a
> bit of HDD for swap, could I make this so that the tempory files are
> all on a RAM disk?

>From ':help encryption' in vim:

-----
7. Encryption                                           *encryption*

Vim is able to write files encrypted, and read them back.  The encrypted
text cannot be read without the right key.

Note: The swapfile and text in memory are not encrypted.  A system
administrator will be able to see your text while you are editing it.
-----

You could use the -n option to stop vim writing a swapfile, if you're
worried about plaintext in the swapfile.

And in vim again, you can put the swapfiles anywhere you want - set up a
RAMdisk in the usual way, and point the swapfiles there.  From ':help swap':

-----
Putting swap files in a normal ram disk (like RAM: on the Amiga) or in a
place that is cleared when rebooting (like /tmp on Unix) makes no sense, you
will lose the swap file in a crash.

If you want to put swap files in a fixed place, put a command resembling the
following one in your .vimrc:
        :set dir=~/tmp          (for Unix)
-----

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk