[Gllug] Editors

David Freeman freemadi at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 28 20:25:14 UTC 2001

 --- Richard Cohen <richard at vmlinuz.org> wrote: > On Sat, 28 Jul 2001,
David Freeman wrote:

> > I don't want to spark off a Emacs v Vi holy war (Although they are
> most
> > enjoyable) Is it possible to get an editor which uses the Vi
> command
> > set which will save files encrypted. So that the plain text never
> > actually gets put on the Harddisk? I know that alot of editors use
> > bit of HDD for swap, could I make this so that the tempory files
> are
> > all on a RAM disk?

Do'h!!!

RTFM again, sorry for being a pain, should have looked there first. But
thank you for the answer.

> From ':help encryption' in vim:
>
> -----
> 7. Encryption                                           *encryption*
>
> Vim is able to write files encrypted, and read them back.  The
> encrypted
> text cannot be read without the right key.
>
> Note: The swapfile and text in memory are not encrypted.  A system
> administrator will be able to see your text while you are editing it.

I thought this might be the case.

> -----
>
> You could use the -n option to stop vim writing a swapfile, if you're
> worried about plaintext in the swapfile.

I think I will do so.

> And in vim again, you can put the swapfiles anywhere you want - set
> up a
> RAMdisk in the usual way, and point the swapfiles there.  From ':help
> swap':

ooh, Vim is looking better and better.

> -----
> Putting swap files in a normal ram disk (like RAM: on the Amiga) or
> in a
> place that is cleared when rebooting (like /tmp on Unix) makes no
> sense, you
> will lose the swap file in a crash.

Yes, but they wont be written to the HDD. The swapfile could be be read
from the residual magnetics on the disk. I am awaiting StegFS to come
out for 2.4 kernels.

> If you want to put swap files in a fixed place, put a command
> resembling the
> following one in your .vimrc:
>         :set dir=~/tmp          (for Unix)

See comment above, I can't be written to the HDD.

Does anyone know if it is possible to recover data from RAM after it
has been powere down, much like data is recoverable from a HDD after it
has been deleted?

Thanks

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk