[Gllug] Databases - NOT Linux specific

home at alexhudson.com home at alexhudson.com
Wed Jul 11 10:36:40 UTC 2001

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 12:21:04AM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> If you really have no experience with databases then before you learn
> SQL you need to learn basic concepts about relational databases:
> one-to-many relationships, many-to-many relationships, primary keys,
> indexes, normalisation etc.  Hmmm.  I started with dBase but I wouldn't
> recommend it.

I hope you're mentioning many-to-many relations in the 'pitfalls' category
:) I also don't recommend dBase - nor Staroffice DB (Adabas is it?) - MySQL
is good from the point that there are many tools which support it
(phpMyAdmin I think is pretty good), Postgres is better but fewer tools in
my experience.

> build simple databases - and then work up.  For all it's eccentricites
> under the bonnet, MS Access is actually very good as a learning tool.

Yep. Only when as a front-end to a real database though :)_

> I only had a brief look at StarBase - anybody else?

Not used it in any depth myself, never heard anything good about it though.

> I'd recommend Postgresql over mySQL as preparation for Oracle

Me too. Or Sybase.

Cheers,

Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk