[Gllug] OT: Hard drive failure

ChrisJS at aol.com ChrisJS at aol.com
Tue Jul 31 23:00:08 UTC 2001

> Sure, though not the Maxtor support way. If the drive isn't spinning up,
>  it's a mechanical rather than a media failure. The data's still there,
>  but the electronics that read from it are down. It would be an idea, if
>  you can, to purchase another identical Maxtor drive. Swap the controller
>  boards over, see if it boots. If it does, copy the data across to the
>  new drive, send the old one back and get a replacement from Maxtor.

I think that would invalidate my warrenty and I can't afford a replacement.
Also, the sound makes me think that its not an electrical problem, its like
something's grinding in there...
I guess the real question is whether Maxtor are good about this sort of thing
and you've answered that question... *sigh*

thanks,

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk