[Gllug] Editors

Tom Gilbert tom at linuxbrit.co.uk
Tue Jul 31 22:40:44 UTC 2001

* Kieran Barry (kieran at esperi.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Tom Gilbert wrote:
> > I know all about that stuff. All this is saying is that we need to
> > police the police. Fine, I don't argue with that. What it has to do with
> > encrypted data is beyond me.
>
> I need clarification here:
>
> You are saying that we need to control the police? This is the first
> backdown we've seen here on this.

It's not a backdown, I never said otherwise. I simply said there is a
place for something like RIP.

> > > What happens if a police officer comes in following a laptop theft. In
> > > the lift, you make a joke that he thinks takes the piss. He
> > > asks you to examine all files on all backups. (This is unreasonable, but
> > > in the context of the police suggesting that everyone make 7 years'
> > > logs available, not impossible.) Kiddie Porn is found in /usr/local. Is
> > > this what you want?
> >
> > Do you think I'm stupid? I don't give accounts to anyone who would do
> > such a thing, ever.
>
> You join a company. First job is to commision a machine, and give
> accounts. How do you identify someone who looks at such sites?

Hello? I'm talking about my machine in my home on which I give accounts
to trusted friends. I pick my friends carefully. Doing my job at a
company is a totally different kettle of fish.

> But you're not naive...

No. I believe that people can't all be trusted and that the authorities
need certain powers to curtail that. But the people on this thread who
say "we should live in a free society where you can do what you like
however you like and have total freedom and but of course we should all
be responisble for ourselves then everything will be just fine", _they_
are naive, in the extreme.

> > I don't think every financial transaction over UKP1 I have made is any
> > use to anyone, and frankly, with loyalty cards and customer tracking
> > most of it's out there anyway. What the hell do I care?
> >
> Are you refusing? It's only a little work. What are you hiding?
> (This is a policy _you_ defended a couple of posts ago.)
>
> > Of course I don't have pirated software on my boxes. I run linux.
> >
> Are you a sysadmin? Are you guaranteeing never to be hacked?
> Of course, you're not naive....

Ah right. So someone is going to hack my iptables firewall, break into
my box, and install pirated software onto my _linux_ network? hrm. What
strange behaviour :)

> > search your house, run forensic tests on the boot of your car, but not
> > see what's on your hard disk is stupid and indefensible and that has
> > been my point all along. Of course, as usual, out come the total freedom
> > nuts and it all goes to pot =D
>
> I am not a freedom nut. I'm all in favour of warrants. Check the
> archives of UKcrypto where I discussed this with the Home office team.

Note the smiley, the last comment was not intended to be offensive.

> But, of course, you're not naive.
>
> And I'm the troll.

Cheers,

Tom.