[Gllug] Code Tux

home at alexhudson.com home at alexhudson.com
Fri Jul 20 12:15:37 UTC 2001

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 11:57:55AM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> If only the Linux distributions paid the same attention to security as
> the *BSD people.

I think it comes down to this: bsd is a marginal operating system used by
sysadmins and geeks, noone else. If Linux was setup as tightly as (for
example) OpenBSD, noone would use it at the levels we're currently seeing.

Linux isn't just a server operating system, it's desktops, development
machines, etc. And high levels of security just aren't needed on those types
of machines - the opportunity cost of high security is that it makes things
hard to do, and on a desktop that cost is far too high a price to pay. It's
possible to make things virtually 100% secure, but I for one would hate to
work on a network that totalitarian.

I'm not saying it's right, but it's the way it is. I threw Mandrake off my
desktop a while ago when I needed a RH compatible distro because I couldn't
get any work done with the default install and I'm not willing to spend time
getting rid of security restrictions. Not an attitude I take with my
servers, but different tools for different jobs.

Cheers,

Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk