[Gllug] Code Tux

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Fri Jul 20 16:24:51 UTC 2001

On 7/20/01, 12:15:37 PM, home at alexhudson.com wrote regarding Re:
[Gllug] Code Tux:

> On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 11:57:55AM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> > If only the Linux distributions paid the same attention to security as
> > the *BSD people.

> I think it comes down to this: bsd is a marginal operating system used
by
> sysadmins and geeks, noone else. If Linux was setup as tightly as (for
> example) OpenBSD, noone would use it at the levels we're currently
seeing.

Very true but it doesn't excuse the default installation of talkd,
fingerd etc.  Several of the distributions now have impressive GUI
installation routines and I don't see why they couldn't include an
"Optional Services" screen with a "Tick here to enable" box and a
"Click here to find out more" button.

Some of these things are very simple.  Why enable the portmapper if
you haven't installed anything that uses it?  Debian, for example,
includes the portmapper as part of the netbase package.  It's a core
package (inetd, ping, ipchains etc) so it always goes on - but this
means portmapper is always on by default.  This is just stupid and
completely unnecessary when a simple option in debconf could allow you
to choose (for example) between always having it on, never having it
on or having it enabled should any package that needs it ever be
installed.

Debian's package management system is clever enough to spot when you
are installing a package complex enough to need the full debconf
package, rather than debconf-tiny, to manage its options - so it
installs debconf along with the requested package.  It's smart enough
to remember whether you want inetd options to be automatically
transferred to xinetd or if you want to do it manually, and does the
appropriate thing each time you install an inetd/xinetd activated
service.  If it can do that, it can damn well leave the portmapper
turned off until you actually install knfsd or whatever.

That isn't locking down the system down beyond usability, that's a
simple, sensible configuration.  If the Debian maintainers can't be
bothered with that kind of simple precaution they have no business
being so damned elitist (says Bruce the Debian bigot).

After 4 years of using Linux I now have a checklist of things that
should be secured.  The people who design the distributions mostly
have much more experience and a rather deeper understanding of Linux
configuration and security - why they don't make use of this knowledge
sensibly is beyond me.  I have a set of cfengine config scripts which
can set one of several default security levels - why can't they do
something similar with their tool of choice?  Why not make Linuxconf
do something useful, for a change? (As opposed to randomly unsetting
your preferences, which is how I remember it's behaviour).

Last time I looked at SuSE they did at least offer a choice of
security levels - though this turned out to be more cosmetic than
actual.  More of a security blanket than a security option.

It all reeks of the "If you don't know enough to secure your own
system you deserve what you get" attitude.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk