[Gllug] Webspace....

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.org
Fri Jul 13 13:22:33 UTC 2001

At 14:05 13/07/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>I was browsing the net and noticed a company http://oneandone.co.uk offer
>300mb webspace with mySQL database, Perl, PHP, and (for those who wish) even
>MS FP extensions for only £8.99 pm (see WebPack4business).  Is this a good
>deal?  How can I check which operating system they are hosting their service
>on (someone had previously sent a URL to the list which checked the
>operating system)?

Why does it matter what OS they are running?
If you're going to be using abstracted functionality in your website, then
the actual implementation is irrelevant ... and if there is an impact (i.e.
if you save data to disk rather than in a database) then just work around
it ...
If it's a philosophical objection, look at http://www.uklinux.net who have
a very good level of functionality for free, and a reasonable charging
scheme for extras.

Quick wafting zephyrs vex bold Jim
Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk