[Gllug] Website developement

Tom Gilbert tom at linuxbrit.co.uk
Sat Jul 14 22:06:56 UTC 2001

* David Freeman (freemadi at yahoo.co.uk) wrote:
> list,
>
> I have a couple of questions.
>
> I have recently, as part of some NVQ avoidance work, been redsigning my
> web site.
>
> http://www.alug.org.uk/freemadi/
> or if the DNS is fixed
> http://freemadi.alug.org.uk/  [1]
>
> Now I have spotted lots of mistakes due to me creating it when I should
> be sleeping, as each page is almost identical, each page needs the same
> alterations to be made. But each page is non Identicle enough for it to
> be a pain in the arse to do.
>
> So I was wondering if anyone on the list can think of a way to create a
> site with lots of pages, like this one, where the design can be changed
> without changing each file by hand, whilst keeping it looking as
> similiar to what it does at the moment. And whilst keeping the html on
> the server static, so I could create it dynamically on my machine and
> then upload it.

I used to do this, and the best tool I found was WML (website meta
language), it lets you embed perl, m4 or preprocessor like code, plus
define your own tags. I used to write stuff like:

<newsitem>
blah blah
</newsitem>

Then run make; make install to upload :) It was pretty okay.

http://www.engelschall.com/sw/wml/

Tom.
--
   /V\    | Tom Gilbert, London, England | http://linuxbrit.co.uk |