[Gllug] Code Tux

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Tue Jul 24 21:32:08 UTC 2001

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 07:03:44PM +0100, Rich Walker wrote:
> > No, I didn't do much hardening when I was using Red Hat (Dean, stop
> > giggling). I was still learning my way up through the basic utilities
> > etc.  Tackling silly X config scripts is a lot simpler than network
> > security.  It's only recently that I've felt confident enough to say
> > that I can make a networked box acceptably secure.
>
> <fx: engages brain before posting>
>
> It's *exactly* this sort of expertise that I keep seeing "waved
> around" on the 'net: people who have been through the whole bitter
> process, and know how to do the job properly from hard-won
> experience. I am concerned that what usually happens is, by the time
> you have got to that level of understanding, the *last* thing you
> want to do is to explain it to someone else, and so it becomes
> *very* hard for those of us at the other end of the slope to get to
> the top of it without the same bitter and twisting experiences.

Many people seem to take most active part in user mailing-lists etc when
still learning - often the most helpful posts are from those who have
recently learned something and so a) still remember what it is like not
to understand it and b) are keen to show what they've learned.  At this
stage they probably aren't making serious use of Linux at work - or may
not have a real IT job.

As time progresses, though, they move to using Linux more extensively in
work (or get a job) and have less time to talk about each task or skill
they master - they're too busy putting the skills to use.

I personally find that the more I learn the more work it creates (as
more problems become solvable, I suppose) and the more I have to learn.
Doesn't leave much time to write it up.

--
Bruce

I see a mouse.  Where?  There, on the stair.  And its clumsy wooden
footwear makes it easy to trap and kill.  -- Harry Hill