[Gllug] Building Intranet Kiosks

Peter Chauncy Peter.Chauncy at PoplarHarca.co.uk
Thu Jul 12 12:27:34 UTC 2001

Wulf
How about something using the adaptation of the Linux Terminal Server
Project for education ?  The distribution is now available, I am looking at
using something similar for a community IT suite.  The client machines can
be diskless and just boot off a server, applications can run locally or from
the server.  You will need a reasonable server (I haven't tried it yet, so I
can't say, but bear in mind I am used to dealing with junk so reasonable to
me is a PII), but the client machines could be mid speed pentiums.  I have
seen a set up and it looked fine.
Your not far from Poplar, so I'll keep you posted about how we get on.

Resources

LTSP           http://www.ltsp.org
K12 Project    http://www.riverdale.k12.or.us/linux/
Edward Halstead of Fasttrack Europe gave me a demo and sells the NICs that
are used by the DNA lounge (mentioned in an earlier post)
http://www.fasttrackeurope.com/
DNA Lounge details http://www.dnalounge.com/backstage/src/kiosk/
Malcolm Herbert mherbert at redhat.com of Red Hat is pretty keen on the K12
project.
Optimus support LTSP http://www.optimus.co.uk/  They did a presentation at
the show last week, very level headed chaps.

Peter
Peter Chauncy
Community IT, Poplar HARCA, 167A EastIndia Dock Road, London E14 0EA
020 7510 0562
peter.chauncy at poplarharca.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk