[Gllug] Sun Sparc station 20

Robert Wood rob at empathymp3.co.uk
Sat Jul 21 23:31:16 UTC 2001

I have the chance on getting the following for like next to nothing, and
I was wondering if this machine is any good as a linux box, and how easy
is it gonna be to istall on, (i.e. hardware compatibility, etc)

SUN SPARCstation 20 W/Mouse/Keyboard/EXT. HDD
Specs:
IBM 1.05GB SCSI HDD,
3.5 Floppy Drive,
8 RAM slots 2 used (Total 128MB RAM Installed),
SM50 SuperSPARC Module SUN Part #501-2708,
One 4MB Video SIMM 60ns SUN Part #501-2481,
Mother Board SUN Part #501-2267 & 501-2924,

On the Back:
SUN Video,
Serial A/B,
SUN Keyboard,
2 AUI Ports,
RJ-45 connection,
One 50 Pin SCSI and Sound connections.

I used to use the old sparc 5 boxes at university, and I liked them, but
they were rather sluggish, is the sparc20 any better?

Thanx for any help anyone can give me

Robert Wood [Data Centre Support Technician]
e: robert.wood at interhouse.redbus.com
t: +44 (020) 7531 8700
f: +44 (020) 7531 8701
a: Redbus Interhouse (UK) Limited