[Gllug] CERT Advisory CA-2001-20 Continuing Threats to Home Users

Gordon Joly gordon.joly at pobox.com
Sat Jul 21 22:03:46 UTC 2001

CERT Advisory CA-2001-20 Continuing Threats to Home Users

    Original release date: July 20, 2001
    Source: CERT/CC

    A complete revision history can be found at the end of this file.

Need to Protect Home Systems

    This year, we have seen a significant increase in activity resulting
    in compromises of home user machines. In many cases, these machines
    are then used by intruders to launch attacks against other
    organizations. Home users have generally been the least prepared to
    defend against attacks. Many home users do not keep their machines up
    to date with security patches and workarounds, do not run current
    anti-virus software, and do not exercise caution when handling email
    attachments. Intruders know this, and we have seen a marked increase
    in intruders specifically targeting home users who have cable modem
    and DSL connections.

    Most of the subscribers to the CERT Advisory Mailing List and many
    visitors to our web site are technical staff responsible for
    maintaining systems and networks. But all of us know people who have
    home computers and need advice about how to secure them. We recently
    released a document on our web site providing some basic security
    information and references for home users. The document, "Home Network
    Security," is available on our web site at

           http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/home_networks.html

[...]

Have fun!

Gordo