[Gllug] duel booting

Simon Bunker sibunks at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 11 21:08:48 UTC 2001

Mandrake isn't the best distribution to do this - the graphical partitioning
and mounting may look nice, but it is pretty buggy - I wouldn't rely on it -
better to use Partition Magic (if you are having Windows too it is quite
nice) or fdisk. Putting Windows on first is the better way of doing it, but
first time I did it I had to re-install Windows as Grub overwrote the MBR.
This time I thought the same would happen with Red Hat 7.1, but I was amazed
that just installing it (primary FAT C: drive, logical NTFS E drive, lots of
logical Linux ext2 drives)  and it worked.
However, LILO could boot from over the 1024 cylinder (8Gb) limit, but it
needed a primary partition so the /boot directory had to be on a primary
partition - personally I just made / primary - probably a bad idea, but
convenient :o) Keeping the boot loaders seperate was a very good thing
though.

I was preasantly suprised at LILO's graphical interface - looks nicer than
GRUB - not sure if it's on 7.1 though - I had Mandrake 7.0 on before - LOTS
of gclib problems :o( plus I didn't loose the NT (win2k) boot.

I think IA64 systems are going to gett rid of the crazy partitioning system
we have at the moment - only 4 primary partitions is plain crazy and
logicals are a pure fudge.

PS you learn quite a lot about partition tables from fucking it up the first
dozen times.....backup.

Simon
http://www.rendermania.com/
UIN 11123737