[Gllug] Re: XNS and .NET

Simon Bunker sibunks at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 11 20:41:18 UTC 2001

> Axel Segebrecht wrote:
>
> > for example = my main 'alias' is called "Axel Segebrecht"
> > and instead of sending an email to "alexander at smatrix.de" you would
> > send it to 'Axel Segebrecht' - yes! no @ no email - just the name :)
>
> Hmmm. So, if you're name's Fred Smith, you're probabably out of luck
> then?

LOL

> I dislike the idea of Hailstorm, not because it's from MS, but just
> because I think it's a thoroughly unpleasant idea. I'm not in favour of
> looking for alternatives to it that are non Microsoft - that would be a
> case of cutting ones nose off to spite ones face, from where I stand.

<being devils advocate ;o) >
There does seem to be a general Linux blinker attitude that something is
evil if Microsoft do it, but great if the evil thing becomes an Open Source
copy. Granted Linux is quite nice, but it is noway as convenient as Windows
yet (even if more stable etc) - somehow I don't think your granny is likely
to go out and install it herself.
</being devils advocate>

However, saying that, the DotGNU project sounds like a good idea - bringing
portability to Linux can only be a good thing (except maybe encouraging
Linux native apps maybe) and running C# (whatever you think of it!) will
mean more apps for Linux geeks. Has anyone tried Sun's updated JINI -
emulating .NET in Java - although C# pretty much is Java. I've forgotten
what it is called for the minute.

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk