[Gllug] Website developement

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Sun Jul 15 08:39:17 UTC 2001

David Freeman wrote:

> list,
>
> I have a couple of questions.
>
> I have recently, as part of some NVQ avoidance work, been redsigning my
> web site.
>
> http://www.alug.org.uk/freemadi/
> or if the DNS is fixed
> http://freemadi.alug.org.uk/  [1]
>
> Now I have spotted lots of mistakes due to me creating it when I should
> be sleeping, as each page is almost identical, each page needs the same
> alterations to be made. But each page is non Identicle enough for it to
> be a pain in the arse to do.
>
> So I was wondering if anyone on the list can think of a way to create a
> site with lots of pages, like this one, where the design can be changed
> without changing each file by hand, whilst keeping it looking as
> similiar to what it does at the moment. And whilst keeping the html on
> the server static, so I could create it dynamically on my machine and
> then upload it.

You should maybe look at a content management system,
such as Midgard http://www.midgard-project.org

That might be a bit too big and complex though.
I'm sure other wiser people will explain style sheets.

For small projects, if anyone has dynamic pages,
HTML::Template
This makes it dead easy.
Just create a template file, and fill in the entries with a Perl script.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk