[Gllug] duel booting

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Jul 11 11:38:55 UTC 2001

On 11 Jul 2001 10:33:57 +0000, Jim Bailey wrote:
> I always  use a boot floppy for the second OS/partition, it was
> especially useful at my last place where I was duel booting numerous
> client machines and with out the floppy they just appeared as normal 98
> machines to normal users

Agreed - for what it's worth, I've had one Linux box (my first,
actually) which refused to boot from LILO at all, even though it only
had Linux on it. I just left a floppy in it permenantly.

I'd rather not dual boot at all, and for that matter if I were I'd
probably be using NT as the other OS, but failing that, I suspect I'd be
more inclined to use a boot disk, rather than LILO - less chance of
losing the other OS by accident.

If you want to do things a little posher, you could burn an eltorito CD,
and boot from that, but it's a bit overkill, unless you're like me and
don't actually posess a functioning floppy drive.

Dave.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk