[Gllug] Code Tux

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Sun Jul 22 00:43:03 UTC 2001

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 10:32:13PM +0100, Chris Ball wrote:
> > I'm sure there must be some virii out there too
>
> There are a handful. There's a difference in that if I downloaded a
> virus in my e-mail, it can only be run under the priviledges of my user

Well, this is theoretically the case under Windows NT/2K.  Only not
really.  Both versions make users "power users" by default, with full,
destructive access to everything.  You can change this, only to find
that much MS software is written on the assumption that the user has
power user priveleges and doesn't function well for restricted users.

That's why Melissa did so much damage in the financialsector even though
NT, rather than 9x, is predominant there.

Linux systems are much less standardised, which is probably some
protection against viri.  But I think it has more to do with the fact
that Linux is less used, less known and that we tend not to use document
formats which embed code in amongst the text.

The K-office people seem to want to change that, though.

--
Bruce

Those who cast the votes decide nothing.  Those who count the
votes decide everything. -- Joseph Stalin