[Gllug] Re: XNS and .NET

Simon Stewart sms at digital-science.net
Tue Jul 10 17:42:03 UTC 2001

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 05:30:16PM +0100, Jake Jellinek wrote:

> They seem to be using Java servlets. I got it to work in the end through
> repeated attempts. Great technology....oh I forgot, we offer them
> ourselves...hmmm...

I remember one Lonix where someone tried to convince me that Java
servlets (and J2EE) were winners because they scaled well. Apparently,
if you're a company running on a shoe string budget, the best way to
get more "oomph" from your expensively co-located servers is to THROW
MORE SERVERS AT THE PROBLEM, and not to use your existing hardware
more efficiently. Furrfu. >:(

Talking of the Gray Side: anyone out there care to suggest a good book
for scaling the enormous learning curve for J2EE? I can deal with
applets, I can deal with the base language, I can cope with JDBC, and
using JDOM (www.jdom.org) makes using XML bearable, but
still... *shudder*

I'm planning on using orion server as my J2EE environment because a)
it seems portable, b) it's 100% java (according to the blurb ;) and c)
it lets me use PostgresQL, which my interest is dragging me towards
(esp. after the thread we had recently about databases)

Please, no flames, just good, useful books.

Cheers,

Simon

--
"Four out of five men say they watch women's gymnastics and figure
skating for the athleticism. Nine out of ten women say they are

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk