[Gllug] Re: XNS and .NET

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Tue Jul 10 19:51:56 UTC 2001

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 05:42:03PM +0000, Simon Stewart wrote:
> I remember one Lonix where someone tried to convince me that Java
> servlets (and J2EE) were winners because they scaled well.

They do scale pretty well - if you double the number of servers, you come
close to doubling your performance. If you double the speed of your
hardware, you come close to doubling your performance. Java goes big iron
quite nicely.

> Talking of the Gray Side: anyone out there care to suggest a good book
> for scaling the enormous learning curve for J2EE?

Wrox's Professional Java Server Programming is a good introduction. Covers
JBs, EJBs, Jini, JDNI, JDBC, etc.

> I'm planning on using orion server as my J2EE environment because a)
> it seems portable, b) it's 100% java (according to the blurb ;) and c)
> it lets me use PostgresQL, which my interest is dragging me towards

Also consider JRun (commercial) or the Apache stuff (Tomcat et al.) -
getting the right JRE is the toughie though. Linux is getting pretty good at
Java these days, it has to be said.

Cheers,

Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk