[Gllug] Editors

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Sat Jul 28 22:28:29 UTC 2001

On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 09:00:23PM +0100, Richard Cohen wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jul 2001, David Freeman wrote:
>
> > I don't want to spark off a Emacs v Vi holy war (Although they are most
> > enjoyable) Is it possible to get an editor which uses the Vi command
> > set which will save files encrypted. So that the plain text never
> > actually gets put on the Harddisk? I know that alot of editors use a
> > bit of HDD for swap, could I make this so that the tempory files are
> > all on a RAM disk?
>
> >From ':help encryption' in vim:
>
> -----
> 7. Encryption                                           *encryption*

It should also be possible to get Vim to read from and write to files
encrypted with gnupg - or any cli utility - so long as you give them a
consistent extension.  Have a look in /etc/vimrc at the au lines which
allow Vim to edit gzipped and bzipped files.

--
Bruce

Anyone who slaps a 'this page is best viewed with Browser X' label on a
Web page appears to be yearning for the bad old days, before the Web...
		-- Tim Berners-Lee