[Gllug] VPN appliances (off topic)

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.org
Fri Jul 6 14:29:40 UTC 2001

At 15:20 06/07/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>On Fri, 6 Jul 2001 john.hearns at framestore.co.uk wrote:
> > I've bene asked to set up VPNs at work, for remote access.
> > Yes - I know about Free S/Wan.
> > However, does anyone know of, or can recommend, any
> > 'VPN Appliances'. If such things exist, I'm thinking of
> > small boxes which come pre-configured to run IPSec tunnelling.
> > Forgive me if I'm raving (what's new I hear you say).
>
>they dont come 'pre-configured', and they dont run linux, but you could do
>worse than:
>http://www.gnatbox.com/

But they are a cut-down BSD :-)
However :- http://www.gnatbox.com/Pages/faq.html#q20.3
What about VPN support?
The GNAT Box system provides transparent operation of many VPN
implementations. Two of the most common VPNs: Microsoft Corporation's PPTP
and Data Fellows SSH are supported transparently. Other VPN solutions, such
as hardware based systems typically operate transparently with the GNAT Box
system.

The UK arm of GTA http://www.globaltech.co.uk/ are very good ... I've spent
some time with them (not employed by them, did some subcontracting, etc), a
couple of years back.
They're promoting SafeNet, which is a software-base VPN.

Otherwise cicso probably have VPN support :-) though they're not "small
boxes" ...

Quick wafting zephyrs vex bold Jim
Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk