[Gllug] simputer

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.org
Tue Jul 10 08:57:05 UTC 2001

>I'd also be interested in seeing if there are devices like this that could
>be used round the NHS Trust I work in. Does anyone know of anything
>presently available that has a reasonably large screen (say 240 x 320 or
>higher), low cost, and the ability to browse a webserver on a LAN? We've
>looked at Palm Devices (can't find the wireless networking bits we need,
>and thus having problems viewing information sources on our Intranet) and
>the Compaq iPAQ (nice, but a bit bulky and very expensive). If anyone has
>any clues, I'd be interested to hear.

Nokia Communicator 9110/9210 is a very nice single unit, decent
screen/keyboard/dev. environment and https, but it doesn't have 802.11b,
just GSM dialup. So unless you have a deal with, say, Dolphin Telecom, then
your phone bills will be high. OTOH you don't have to provide the network
infrastructure yourself ... but you may hit problems with dead zones in
your buildings.
You'd still have the problem of powered transmitters near to medical
electronic equipment, though, no matter what you do :-(

Quick wafting zephyrs vex bold Jim
Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk