[Gllug] simputer

john.hearns at framestore.co.uk john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Tue Jul 10 09:20:48 UTC 2001

Jim Cheetham wrote:

> >I'd also be interested in seeing if there are devices like this that could
> >be used round the NHS Trust I work in. Does anyone know of anything
> >presently available that has a reasonably large screen (say 240 x 320 or
> >higher), low cost, and the ability to browse a webserver on a LAN? We've
> >looked at Palm Devices (can't find the wireless networking bits we need,
> >and thus having problems viewing information sources on our Intranet) and
> >the Compaq iPAQ (nice, but a bit bulky and very expensive). If anyone has
> >any clues, I'd be interested to hear.

You should contact Oxford John Radcliffe.
http://oxmedinfo.jr2.ox.ac.uk/new_index/start2.html

I went to visit Jonathan Kay and his team
a couple of years ago, and they were
very far ahead on that road.
At the time, using Apple Newtons and then Fujitsu Teampads.

BTW, why do you say the iPaq is expensive?
I bet the big expense in any system like this is the installation
and staff time - not the unit cost per handheld.

You could maybe look at one of the Webpad things as alternatives -
though are such tings really for sale yet?

Vince also has a nice sub-miniature Casio Fiva.

You could look at notepad-sized laptops,
like the small Sony Vaios or new Librettos. These can be carried
in a labcoat pocket, and take a PCMCIA card.
Or even the old Libretto models, if you can buy some second hand.

Or, if you are willing to live with WinCE, how about a Compaq Aero 8000?
There are shops on TCR heavily trying to get rid of these -
they basically look like a dinky laptop, but are Hitachi processor
based, and have flash memory.
Cost about 300 pounds.
http://www.compaq.com/products/thinclients/8000/

I think these would really be ideal for hospital use -
the right size, light, and cheap.

> You'd still have the problem of powered transmitters near to medical
> electronic equipment, though, no matter what you do :-(

Well, there is a wireless LAN in operation at St. Thomas.
I'm not certain if it is 802.11b based - I will check with my contact
there.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk