[Gllug] Demon dial-up problems

Tom Gilbert tom at linuxbrit.co.uk
Thu Jul 26 10:06:37 UTC 2001

* Nix (nix at esperi.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Tom Gilbert gibbered:
> > * Nix (nix at esperi.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> >> On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Tom Gilbert stipulated:

> >> Nonsense. I'm connecting to Demon by exactly that method; in fact, it is
> >> Demon's oldest method of connection, used since the very earliest days.
> >
> > *shudder, but it's *clear*text!
>
> And? Are you worried about someone tapping the phone line or something?

Ask yourself why every isp in the world is switching to chap and most
have already dropped cleartext logins.

If you want to connect to an unknown remote modem, or more likely, a
modem concentrator in an exchange, and merrily beam out your password to
it then okay - but I prefer chap, because the remote box has to know
your password too, and neither of you ever send it over the wire.

Tom.
--
   /V\    | Tom Gilbert, London, England | http://linuxbrit.co.uk |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk