[Gllug] My humble opinion plus SMS question

Formi rcformi at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 13 16:38:14 UTC 2001

Hello everybody,

I am on holidays back in my place, NW of Spain.
I am reading the whole lot of emails from the past week, and even though
I haven’t finished yet but from here I want to say something about the list:

I have found that one of the most attractive reasons to be on it* is the style
of the communication, as a galician fella, I do enjoy irony, and twisted ways
of saying things and ramping about microspot, for example.

* as well as the technical issues.

When I arrived in the UK for the first time I did really have communication
problems, not completely related to my lack of knowledge of English,  but
because English sounds very straight forward and it’s usually spoken in a
really simple way. For us it feels like the way you talk to small children.

So when I started to go to the meetings and joined the list I found myself
really surprised , and I am very glad with the style most of you use. You are
helping me to learn how to speak something else than the standard school
grammar.

As you can see I still write straight, but as we say --- Just give time to The
Time.

Now an idea, and a question:

Every time I fly back we have a meeting my secondary school friends and I.
Usually between  8 and 20 turn up. Every time we have to phone everybody,
arrange the place, check that at least most people are free, etc. You know the
drill. Most of them don’t have or bother to read the mail. But all do have
mobile phones.

How easy would it be to implement the equivalent of a mailing list but with SMS
?

 I know there are web sites that let you send them. Also I know that you have
to wait some time before you can send the next one. A script to connect to them
and fool them to send SMS shouldn’t be difficult to write.

What I don’t know is how to get the messages to the server, because it has to
be able to be sent from a mobile. I don’t know if a modem could be used for
that ...

As you can see this idea could be used for the GLLUG, LONIX, TCR, ... meetings.
I see that some people will start complaining about privacy, junk, ... the
usual mail problems, those could be prevented in a very simple way by having
the server up only the days of the meetings. And having a one day subscription
policy. Special SMS to start and stop the service...

Probably I am not the first one to think about this, does anybody know  about
any commercial service ?

Vince would probably love the idea ...

Have a nice time.

                                            Formi.