[Gllug] My humble opinion plus SMS question

john.hearns at framestore.co.uk john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Fri Jul 13 17:07:24 UTC 2001

Formi wrote:

> Now an idea, and a question:
>
> Every time I fly back we have a meeting my secondary school friends and I.
> Usually between  8 and 20 turn up. Every time we have to phone everybody,
> arrange the place, check that at least most people are free, etc. You know the
> drill. Most of them don?t have or bother to read the mail. But all do have
> mobile phones.
>
> How easy would it be to implement the equivalent of a mailing list but with SMS
> ?

Good ideas.
To send SMS messages, all you need is a Linux box, a modem and
some software called sms-client.
I found this easy to set up.
(My intention was to have some network monitoring stuff SMS me if
anything
was going wrong - so a web-based SMS gateway wasn't really what I was
after.
The monitoring box would need a direct non-network connection out).

Neil Harris, who works with me, has done some more sophisticated stuff
with a Nokia Cardphone, plus Python scripting.
Maybe if there is interest I can get hime to speak at next GLLUG?

As for the mailing list software, you'll have to work on that yourself!
Remember though that someone will have to pay the phone bills if
you go the modem or cardphone route.

If anyone wants to try this stuff out, email me off list
and I can try sending some SMS messages to you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk