[Gllug] Editors

Simon Bunker sibunks at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 29 21:55:03 UTC 2001

> This is an argument against the RIP act, and I agree with you, it sucks
> that they can ask for any data with no reason, but I still stand by two
> points.
>
> a) If the authorities do ask for your data, and you have done nothing
> illegal, what is the problem?

I have a problem with anything that makes most peoples data unsecure - so
sure criminals etc might use encryption, but if it was made illegal (OK not
exactly what RIP does) it's not like that would stop them - it just means
everyone else loses out - just look at the stupid position the US is in with
it's cryptography export laws - and how lots of smaller countries outside
the states are exploiting this to move much further ahead.

Sure it may not be illegal, but do you post all of your letters on postcards
for the world to see? eg Business documents, confidential data, legal
docuements, personal details? Having data unencypted you may as well do.

I'd loveto try out Freenet, but I dread to think what the RIP would say
about that - is there deniability there?

Simon
http://www.rendermania.com/
UIN 11123737

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk