[Gllug] Editors

David Freeman freemadi at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 29 22:16:16 UTC 2001

 --- Simon Bunker <sibunks at hotmail.com> wrote: >
> > This is an argument against the RIP act, and I agree with you, it
> sucks
> > that they can ask for any data with no reason, but I still stand by
> two
> > points.
> >
> > a) If the authorities do ask for your data, and you have done
> nothing
> > illegal, what is the problem?
>
> I have a problem with anything that makes most peoples data unsecure
> - so
> sure criminals etc might use encryption, but if it was made illegal
> (OK not
> exactly what RIP does) it's not like that would stop them - it just
> means
> everyone else loses out - just look at the stupid position the US is
> in with
> it's cryptography export laws - and how lots of smaller countries
> outside
> the states are exploiting this to move much further ahead.

I think as of october 2000 the Us have relaxed there encryption export
laws. But, Since hand guns have been made illegal in this country there
has been a rise in gun related crime. So tell me how does making it
illegal (spoiling the innocent hobby of many people) help?

> Sure it may not be illegal, but do you post all of your letters on
> postcards
> for the world to see? eg Business documents, confidential data, legal
> docuements, personal details? Having data unencypted you may as well
> do.

I like this point.

> I'd loveto try out Freenet, but I dread to think what the RIP would
> say
> about that - is there deniability there?

I think they can't prove where any of it is anyway so I wouldn't worry
about it. Although it would be one hell of a cool test of the law.

incedentally one of the parts of the RIP bill I liked was the bit for
if you had forgotten your password they will try guessing it for you.
Now this In would like to see, my password is 27 characters long for
some systems and I also use a 8 character password for my unix passwd.
They say they can guess passwords easily when they now how you
generated it. This I would like to see. I banged on the keyboard for a
few seconds and selected 8 characters from the stream!

Thanks

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk