[Gllug] Ethernetworking

Jim Bailey jim at lateral.net
Tue Jul 17 17:43:14 UTC 2001

On Tuesday, July 17, 2001, at 04:07 PM, Paul Brazier wrote:

> Thanks for the advice, luckily my brother has a spare 1GB HD and an
> ethernet card.
>
> Am I right in thinking that to network two machines over ethernet I just
> need a "crossed over" cable?

probably I have always used hubs :-)

> But to link more than two I need either an ethernet "hub" or to have one
> machine with multiple ethernet cards?

Yes you need a hub you maybe able to use multiple ethernet cards but it
is not so cost effective and you use up all your ISA/PCI slots

> How much are these hubs? (Is this the proper name for them?)

Hubs cost about £30-40 for an 8 port 10 base hub and about £60-70 10/100
fast hub and yes Hub is the proper name for them. ;-)

> Can anyone recommend a link for an introduction to ethernet networking
> under Linux?

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO.html

There is a load of dos and don't when you are setting up a commercial
network but do not worry if it is only for home use you would have to do
some really weird stuff to fsck it up.

Hope this helps you get started I think the whole LAN/WAN cabling stuff
is cool so have fun.

Cheers Jim

7.  Hyperlinks subvert hierarchy.

http://www.cluetrain.com/