[Gllug] Ethernetworking

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 17 19:57:27 UTC 2001

john.hearns at framestore.co.uk wrote:

> And is someone with more wisdom than I (I'm not THAT old Bill)
> going to tell us all about big thick yellow cables - the true Ethernet,
> and vampire taps?

Heh heh. My office was using it, as recently as 1999. In September 99 we
recabled switched 10/100 throughout, but prior to that, I had around 65
machines, on no less than 14 separate 10base2 segements. The segments
were linked by a stack of 10base2 repeaters, and the servers were all on
a single segment of thick Ethernet, complete with vampire taps, AUI drop
cables, and AUI to BNC converters......

To get by the minimum distance between attachment points, the thicknet
segment had been beautifully twisted, and did pretty S-bends all the way
up the wall. One segment of 10base 2 had been chucked out of a top floor
window, and tied off around the top end of the drainpipe....

My old Novell server could transfer data at about 600KBps. When I stuck
in a nice modern PCI based machine with a decent NIC, transfer rate went
to about 30KBps (yes, 30). It was amusing to watch the collision counter
increment faster than the good packets....

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk