[Gllug] Virus Sweepers - Avamis

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Thu Jul 5 19:33:45 UTC 2001

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 03:35:42PM +0100, French, Alastair wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am looknig into implenting Avamis virus sweeper at home, having read the
> into docs last night am I right in thinking that you need and external
> package to do the actual sweep (such as Sophos). Avamis just provides a path
> for the mail to travel through.

It does a little more than that - it unpacks mime attachments and
uncompresses them etc.

It has to be on the destination machine, not a relay - though you could
use lmtp to pass the mail on to backend machines.

> If I'm right, what virus packages do people use?

McAfee do a virusscanner for Linux which works pretty well.

--
Bruce

What would Edward Woodward do?