[Gllug] Compiling/rpms

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Wed Jul 11 14:35:46 UTC 2001

What do people think are the relative merits of compiling from tar.gz
source code against installing from an rpm (or debian equivalent)?
Are srpms a middle ground that gives the dependency-checking benefits of
rpm's with the machine optimization or tar.gz's?
I've not used srpms but I understand that this is what they do.
Do rpm builders have to configure the dependencies "by hand" or is there
software to work them out?
Is is easy (or even desirable) to create your own rpm's?
I've installed stuff from source before now but it messes up your whole
rpm database as it loses track of what's installed and what isn't.
Is Debian's solution to these problems really any better than using
rpm's?

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk