[Gllug] Compiling/rpms

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed Jul 11 15:07:50 UTC 2001

>What do people think are the relative merits of compiling from tar.gz
>source code against installing from an rpm (or debian equivalent)?

Compile it yourself. RPMs, debs and the like are great for distributors,
but as soon as you mix in packages from third party sources, the only
outcome is going to be dependency hell. My view is that if the packages
all come from the same source (e.g., official updates from the vendor),
then use the package. Otherwise, compile from source.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk