[Gllug] Fwd: Mobile phone scam

matthew at thenut.demon.co.uk matthew at thenut.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 27 20:49:11 UTC 2001

On 27 Jul, Chris Bell wrote:
>> Subject: FW: FW: FW: ATTENTION - All mobile phone users

1) Lots of 'FW'

2) No from address on the original post

>> > The message will say  something along the lines of "Please
>> > call  me on 09011500065 Urgent" it will say it is from "KB"

3) I don't know anyone called KB.

>> > Do not call this number, it is premium rate  number charged
>> > at  £5:00 per  minute.

4) All 09* numbers are premium numbers. Nasty rate though.

>> > Also when you call it you  will get an engaged tone; this

5) Calling an engaged phone from a mobile doesn't give an engaged
   tone.

>> > will make you call again, and again, and you are  CHARGED!!

6) I wouldn't have called it once. And as it's not a personal call I
   certainly wouldn't bother trying a second time.

>> > Please pass this message on  to all your friends."

7) Why not an official announcement? This is not how large companies
   work.

>> > Best  regards
>> > David Ross
>> > Carphone Warehouse

8) Who did he actually send this *to*?

Of course, this could all very well be true, but it doesn't look like
it.

Matthew

--

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk