[Gllug] Fwd: Mobile phone scam

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 27 23:20:13 UTC 2001

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, matthew at thenut.demon.co.uk yowled:

> 5) Calling an engaged phone from a mobile doesn't give an engaged
>    tone.

*curious* What does it give? An annoying voice?

(I've almost never used a mobile, y'see...)

> 6) I wouldn't have called it once. And as it's not a personal call I
>    certainly wouldn't bother trying a second time.

Ah, but it will TAKE OVER your BRAIN, and you will be MADE to call
AGAIN, and AGAIN, and you are CHARGED with MADNESS and then the phone
SHORTS OUT from the excessive use and you are CHARGED with ELECTRICITY
but it doesn't get through the TEFLON SOLES of your shoes until SOMEONE
comes along and TOUCHES YOU and there's a HUGE EXPLOSION and all die.[1]

(Oh, the embarrassment.)

> 7) Why not an official announcement? This is not how large companies
>    work.

Large companies work? I dispute that.

> 8) Who did he actually send this *to*?

This is probably the Ross in RossRail
<http://www.on-the-train.demon.co.uk/RossRail/>... ;)

[1] this is traditional, even though physically implausible; e.g. Star
    Trek's regulation-small-landmines-under-the-consoles trick,

--
`It's all about bossing computers around. Users have to say "please".
Programmers get to say "do what I want NOW or the hard disk gets it".'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk