[Gllug] Editors

David Freeman freemadi at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 29 22:31:55 UTC 2001

 --- Tom Gilbert <tom at linuxbrit.co.uk> wrote: > * Simon Bunker
(sibunks at hotmail.com) wrote:

> > > This is an argument against the RIP act, and I agree with you, it
> sucks
> > > that they can ask for any data with no reason, but I still stand
> by two
> > > points.
> > >
> > > a) If the authorities do ask for your data, and you have done
> nothing
> > > illegal, what is the problem?
> >
> > I have a problem with anything that makes most peoples data
> unsecure - so
> > sure criminals etc might use encryption, but if it was made illegal
> (OK not
> > exactly what RIP does) it's not like that would stop them - it just
> means
> > everyone else loses out - just look at the stupid position the US
> is in with
> > it's cryptography export laws - and how lots of smaller countries
> outside
> > the states are exploiting this to move much further ahead.
>
> You have got it way wrong. RIP doesn't make encrypted data illegal,
> encryption is not illegal due to the act. The RIP act says the
> government can ask you for the key, and lock you up if you don't give
> it.

no but it removes your right to remain silent. Thus steganography is a
better choice than encryption. For once security through obscurity is
good.

> The only problem I have with the act is that it is't explicit enough
> about having established some level of guilt _first_.

They don't need to, see my other email about an email which is
encrypted to foo at bar.com who has been found guilty of X.

> > I'd loveto try out Freenet, but I dread to think what the RIP would
> say
> > about that - is there deniability there?
>
> Do you know what freenet is? It's not about encryption, it's just
> anonymous file sharing.

The anonymous file sharing which is on a widely distributed system
where all data is encrypted!

Thanks

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk