[Gllug] Code Tux

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Fri Jul 20 17:23:14 UTC 2001

In message <20010720.16245100 at usb.cafod>
          Bruce Richardson <brichardson at lineone.net> wrote:
[snip]
> That isn't locking down the system down beyond usability, that's a
> simple, sensible configuration.  If the Debian maintainers can't be
> bothered with that kind of simple precaution they have no business
> being so damned elitist (says Bruce the Debian bigot).
>
> After 4 years of using Linux I now have a checklist of things that
> should be secured.

Right. Of course, you've published it. And, I see, you've put the
URL of it in this post. And you've sent a reference copy to the relevant
security teams of the relevant distros. [There probably should be a
smiley in this paragraph, but there's too much "I know how to solve
this problem and haven't" on  the net this month].

*Then* in 6 months when none of the distributions have done these
things, you can abuse them *properly*.

> The people who design the distributions mostly
> have much more experience and a rather deeper understanding of Linux
> configuration and security - why they don't make use of this knowledge
> sensibly is beyond me.  I have a set of cfengine config scripts which
> can set one of several default security levels - why can't they do
> something similar with their tool of choice?

Why not create a  harden-cfengine package that can be installed, like
the several *other* debian harden- packages?

[snip rest]

cheers,Rich.

--
Rich Walker: rw at shadow.org.uk (Shadow Robot Project)