[Gllug] Editors

Tom Gilbert tom at linuxbrit.co.uk
Tue Jul 31 07:31:01 UTC 2001

* Kieran Barry (kieran at esperi.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> > Your argument can also be taken to an extreme.
>
> This would be his claim that granting freedom requires responsibility?
>
> >                                             After all, a totally free
> > society is one where you are truly free to do what you want.
>
> Total freedom, of course, requires absolute responsibility.

Sorry, but this is such crap :)

I can be responsible for myself, sure. But I can't be responsible for
Joe A Nasty who wants to steal my car and is in no way restricted or
prevented from doing so by society.

Surely you see that you _can't_ be responsible for everyone and that
once someone has killed you it's a bit late to go and talk to his
parents about it :)

> >                                                        E.g. blow
> > someone's head off because their loud hawiian shirt offends you, or
> > steal someone's car because it looks nice or rape someone because they
> > look nice.
>
> This shows responsibility how?

Oh I see. You are inventing an impossible situation where everyone is
perfect? We don't have that, hence we have to give up a little to get
security.

> > But it's pointless arguing, you feel what you feel :)
>
> And you read what you read. Even if it isn't there.

I read it. I commented on it.

Tom.
--
   /V\    | Tom Gilbert, London, England | http://linuxbrit.co.uk |