[Gllug] Editors

David Freeman freemadi at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 31 12:09:12 UTC 2001

 --- Tom Gilbert <tom at linuxbrit.co.uk> wrote: > * Kieran Barry
(kieran at esperi.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> > Total freedom, of course, requires absolute responsibility.
>
> Sorry, but this is such crap :)

No its not it is perfectly correct.

> I can be responsible for myself, sure. But I can't be responsible for
> Joe A Nasty who wants to steal my car and is in no way restricted or
> prevented from doing so by society.

You are responsible for you, I am responsible for me. If we all act
responsably you don't need to worry, comes down to what I said in
another email about taking the piss.

> Surely you see that you _can't_ be responsible for everyone and that
> once someone has killed you it's a bit late to go and talk to his
> parents about it :)

No we are all responsible for our selves.

> > >                                                        E.g. blow
> > > someone's head off because their loud hawiian shirt offends you,
> or
> > > steal someone's car because it looks nice or rape someone because
> they
> > > look nice.
> >
> > This shows responsibility how?
>
> Oh I see. You are inventing an impossible situation where everyone is
> perfect? We don't have that, hence we have to give up a little to get
> security.

Why don't we have it and why can't we have it?

> > > But it's pointless arguing, you feel what you feel :)
> >
> > And you read what you read. Even if it isn't there.
>
> I read it. I commented on it.

Yawn.

Thanks

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk