[Gllug] Linux Install and RAID (ABit KT7-RAID)

home at alexhudson.com home at alexhudson.com
Tue Jul 24 12:10:35 UTC 2001

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 01:22:55PM +0100, mallum wrote:
> hmm, Im no expert on RAID but surely if it was software why would set the
> raid up the RAID from outside the OS ( on a kt7 boot ) ? And why would :-

My guess is that it's like the Fasttrak stuff et al. They actually install a
new set of IDE BIOS routines on boot to support DOS / Win9X, but the
pre-Os-boot software will have no relevance to Linux. The IDE-RAID
controllers aren't full RAID controllers - they do have some hardware
support to make a few basic operations quicker, IIRC, but they don't do
anything you can't do with two normal IDE channels.

> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATARAID_HPT
>
> exist in the kernel config - the HPT370 is an IDE RAID controller after
> all ?

AFAIK (from linux-ide and highpoint-tech.com), it's just the driver for the
HPT370. I suppose it's called ATARAID because it's a driver for a RAID
device - however, I don't think it actually supports highpoint RAID.

Cheers,

Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk