[Gllug] basic rpm problem.

Andrew Richardson ahrichardson at clara.net
Tue Jul 3 15:23:08 UTC 2001

firstly beware of src.rpm's and srpm's.  They are a hybrid, half source half
package.

Try rpm --rebuild packagename.src.rpm (or rpm --recompile) and if that works.
Then look for the real rpm it creates and rpm -i that one

When updating particular rpm's in Mandrake I recommend using rpmfind.net and
installing .mdk.rpm packages.   To force them in use the rpm --nodeps option
(its stronger than force)  but be careful as there are no warnings.

Sometimes I have noticed the major numbers issue and found that there is no
other solution than hunting down the correct package.  Forcing in packages
with incorrect major numbers is not advisable.

So... Go to rpmfind, get a new .mdk.rpm for rpm itself and upgrade that using
rpm -U .

Have fun and good luck

Andrew

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk