[Gllug] starting X

home at alexhudson.com home at alexhudson.com
Thu Jul 19 08:43:24 UTC 2001

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 12:09:44AM +0100, Ian Northeast wrote:
> Have you never had a power failure? Or a kernel panic for some other
> reason?

Yes. Never one that led to data loss though. The only part of the filesystem
you're concerned with saving is the user data (ie. /home), and possibly the
configuration (/etc). Which you're backing up anyway. If you're using
something like Reiser, you're not going to suffer from filesystem corruption
anyway.

Partitioning, to me, is a poor solution for every problem which it's used to
solve. Originally, partitioning was more to do with making disk spaces that
the BIOS and/or OS could handle in terms of size when big disks came along -
it's a bodge. Partitioning different areas to allow different rights makes a
little sense, but still isn't a great solution - it inflicts discreteness on
a logically continuous area, and you have the problems of having space on
some areas but not others, the problems of copying between filesystems, etc.
I much prefer the uniformity of a single / filesystem, because I don't get
pockets of space, and I don't get problems moving things around. My gut
feeling is that / is a logical area, and shouldn't be affected by the actual
physical arrangement of disks (I think this is going to be something we see
less of in the future too, with features like union mounts, etc., making the
filesystem a bit more cohesive).

Cheers,

Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk