[Gllug] Partitioning (was starting X)

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.org
Thu Jul 19 11:45:11 UTC 2001

At 09:43 19/07/2001 +0100, Alex wrote:
>Which you're backing up anyway. If you're using
>something like Reiser, you're not going to suffer from filesystem corruption
>anyway.

I don't know if I'd trust that 100%, but it's definitely better than the
long fsck lottery :-)
Modulo the /home argument to protect against OS upgrade/replace issues, the
rest of this is interesting ...

>Partitioning, to me, is a poor solution for every problem which it's used to

Everything I've read, every system I've seen/configured/whatever, has
bought in to the partitioning philosophy. Even the FHS (Filesystem
Hierarchy Standard) http://www.pathname.com/fhs/  fits into this assumption
by "specifying guiding principles for each area of the filesystem" - i.e.
viewing the whole filesystem as consisting of areas with different
functional requirements.

This may be a symptom of putting the cart before the horse, however.
Perhaps we've grown up thinking that filesystems need different
(contigious) areas because partitioning is our tool to enforce that. I
guess it would be possible to allow these functional areas to instead be
viewed as attributes of the files/directories themselves ... i.e. although
it might be handy to mount a read-only file system (partition), this is
just an administrative short-cut for the equivalent action of marking all
the files as read-only.

So, I understand your enumeration of issues with partitioning, below, but
do you have any more arguments about the use of a single space, rather than
just objections to the practice of partitioning? Perhaps objections to the
theory (rather than practice)?
Otherwise it would be easy to address each of your objections in turn and
dilute the whole point you're raising ... :-)

-jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk