[Gllug] Re: XNS and .NET

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Wed Jul 11 09:42:28 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Gordon Joly <gordon.joly at pobox.com>
To: <gllug at linux.co.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2001 9:57 AM
Subject: Re: [Gllug] Re: XNS and .NET

> At 17:33 +0100 2001-07-10, tet at accucard.com wrote:
> >  >The whole XNS thing seems like a bit of a crap idea to me though, can
> >>someone explain to me why it isn't?
> >
> >Nope, sorry. It appears to be an attempt to provide a flat namespace
> >for the entire internet. The problem is that the net is too big for
> >that to work, and the current hierarchical system works much better...
> >

> I am sometimes get annoyed by UK companies who get a .COM domain.

I don't see why.  The US tld is .us not .com I believe.  .com, .org and .net
are meant to be international with the us tld being .us however US companies
have hijacked this.  So I believe a .org, .net or .com should be taken by
international companies and .co.uk/.org.uk should be used if they are UK
based and not international in anyway.  US companies should be slapped and
then made to use their cruddy .us domains then slapped again to make sure.

What *really* annoys me is US companies with .coms who refuse to
recognise/deliver to outside US customers.  It annoys me even more when
their advertising reaches me with benefits of their new wonder deal and I
can't take advantage of it.  Especially when it is in the form of an email
that lands in my UK mail box.  B'starts.

will.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk