[Gllug] Not linux, yet, but Risc OS

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 21 21:44:54 UTC 2001

On Mon 16 Jul, matthew at thenut.demon.co.uk wrote:
> In attempting to install Linux on my Risc PC I am stuck at the point of
> trying to get the files to kickstart the installation on the Risc PC
> itself.

   What source are you trying to load from? Do you have a CD ROM drive
attached to the Risc PC? I have just looked at the installation instructions
on a Debian-ARM CD, and it appears that everything can be done from the Risc
PC with some formatted floppy discs, with the proviso that you need to back
up all your original files and re-instate them. (This must be done with
great care so as to retain the use of protected software.) How were you
intending to do a back-up?
   I have a Risc PC with NIC, but I have been using old x86 boxes to learn
about Linux as I did not want to risk losing all my old files until I was
more confident. I have done complete disc to disc backups when changing to a
larger disc without problems, this has the advantage that you can test the
new disc before you wipe the old one.

--
Chris Bell (North Acton area)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk